We are a sports agency representing elite baseball players. Our founder, Scott Boras, is the most powerful, widely-known individual agent in any sport, with over 30 years of experience. Our firm is the premier single-sport athlete representation firm in the world. We are a team dedicated to being the best in the world at what we do: serving the athletes of baseball.
More about the company and its history can be found on the Wikipedia page for Scott Boras: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...
We are looking for a motivated, organized, detail-oriented, and technically skilled individual with a love of baseball to serve as a data/analytics integrity assistant. This is a unique opportunity to apply your technical skills to the high stakes, high visibility world of Major League Baseball, defending the rights of individual workers against a management entity with $10+ billion in annual revenue.
You will work as part of a team ensuring all corporate data stores and analytics functions are operational, accurate, and up-to-date. This is a growth area of the business, so responsibilities will expand over time. Familiarity with the business side of the game is a plus (e.g., contract types, service classes, rules, etc.). This role requires attention to detail and critical thinking skills.
This role is part of a data/analytics department that consists of several in-house employees, an outside software development firm, and a handful of data providers. It reports to the head of the data/analytics department. Since its founding, our company has been innovative in the data world, leading to a reputation for quality, diverse information in the face of a perpetual “arms race” mentality in the rest of the industry. Our data must be always available, up-to-date, and accurate.
What You’ll Do All Day
On the data side, the day-to-day role will involve:
- Bulk data collection and organization
- Manual updating of certain mission-critical data stores
- Monitoring and verification of automated data processes
- Data flow evaluation/improvement
- Auditing, completion, and correction of existing data stores
We Need to See
- A undergraduate degree or higher
- Fluency in the hands-on use, operation, and maintenance of relational databases (MySQL) and other forms of structured data (JSON, CSV, etc.)
- Comfort with Unix/Linux servers and command line tools (e.g., the ability to write a shell script, or construct a database query without benefit of a GUI)
- Basic grasp of programming concepts and back-end systems development
- Fluency with the game of baseball, its core statistics, sabermetrics, and advances in baseball analytics
- Familiarity with the “business of baseball” — free agency, arbitration, the draft, waivers, etc.
- Reliability and impeccable attention to detail while moving quickly to address issues
- The ability to be clever, creative, and tenacious when problem solving
- The ability to effortlessly communicate using modern computing platforms and tools, and adopt new tools as they arise
- The ability to explain complex issues to non-technical personnel via clear and concise oral and written communication
We’d Like to See
- Degree in statistics, computer science, or other applicable field
- 3+ years of professional experience building and maintaining relational databases
- Fluency in one or more foreign languages, particularly “baseball languages” like Spanish, Japanese, and Korean
- Understanding of baseball’s operational rules, including the Major League Rules and the Basic Agreement between MLB and the MLBPA
- A team sports background at the collegiate level or higher, particularly pro / D-1 baseball or softball playing experience
Why the Boras Corporation is a Great Place to Work
- Based in beautiful Newport Beach, CA, with personnel wherever baseball is played around the world
- Headquarters modeled on a player clubhouse, including lunch service and 100+ flat screen TVs showing baseball 24x7
- Salary and benefits meeting or exceeding those standard in the baseball industry
- Stability unmatched in baseball — a large percentage of our personnel can measure their tenure in decades
- Corporate focus on investing in our personnel and providing the tools and resources needed to do world-class work
- Apple Macintosh computers and iPhone/Android smartphones
- Ownership that continually reinvests in the company
- A supportive team-based environment with little to no office politics or egos getting in the way of the work. We hire quality people. Anyone else won’t last long
- We are passionate about the work we do. We believe in our clients, believe in our mission, and apply talent and hard work towards being the best in the world